Back to Articles
Holiday Gift Guide 2020
November 22, 2020
Happy Holidays from Better Days 2020! We’ve curated some of our favorite inspiring gifts from women-owned businesses, mostly based right here in Utah. From books and magazines to crafts to limited edition art, we’ve got you and your stocking stuffers covered. Find more inspiring products for you and the kids in your life at our online store—use code BLACKFRIDAY for 25% off everything!
- Bravery Magazine never fails to create engaging stories for girls and boys (and adults!) Grab a single issue, an annual subscription, patches and more!
- Little Rebel Rosie makes plush dolls of inspiring women like education advocate Malala Yousafzai, ballerina Maria Tallchief, and Utah’s on Dr. Martha Hughes Cannon. Each doll is handmade with love and empowerment!
- Lots of great books came out this year, but we especially like Finish the Fight! The Brave and Revolutionary Women Who Fought for the Right to Vote. This book for middle-grade readers features once-forgotten women of color with beautiful illustrations. Check out our other book recommendations here.
- We may be biased, but we think our Utah Women Making History trading cards are a fantastic gift for boys and girls of any age. Features 50 trailblazing women in Utah history, beautifully illustrated by Brooke Smart, with photos and facts on the back. You can also order art prints or digital downloads of your favorite illustrations! And just a reminder, everything in our store is 25% off with code BLACKFRIDAY!
- This Mini Memory Match features colorful illustrations by Lydia Ortiz, introducing kids to important people in history through a fun game. Available through NPR or Amazon.
- The What’shername podcast hosted by sisters Dr. Katie Nelson and Olivia Meikle is a fascinating romp through history, highlighting terrific women you’ve never heard of. Besides other merchandise, they have unique cross-stitch patterns for every woman featured on the podcast. That includes Utahns like WWI ambulance driver Maud Fitch and 12-year-old railroad camp cook Mary Peterson Ipsen!
- Three books in our online shop tell the story of brave Utah women’s work for equal voting rights. Pioneering the Vote: The Untold Story of Suffragists in Utah and the West tells the story of early suffrage victories decades ahead of the 19th Amendment. Champions of Change: 25 Women Who Made History features Brooke Smart’s illustrations and short biographies written for kids. And Thinking Women: A Timeline of Suffrage in Utah uses rich historical images to tell the story of Utah women’s suffrage activism from 1870-1920. And You can also find each of these at local bookstores!
- We’d be remiss if we didn’t include our favorite Utah artist on this list—Brooke Smart! Check out her online shop for prints like Women for Women (based on her mural in SLC!) and Girl Gang.
- This 500-piece round Votes for Women puzzle features 40 women who worked for voting rights across the U.S. The included poster shares each woman’s story! Buying from the National Women’s History Museum supports their mission. Find more at their shop here.
For even more kids’ books specific to suffrage, visit our guide here!