Examining Primary Sources: How the Sego Lily Became Utah’s State Flower
In this lesson, students will examine, compare and synthesize information from primary sources to determine when, how and why the sego lily became Utah’s state flower.Recommended Instructional Time: 60 minutes
- When did the sego lily become the flower of Utah?
- What was the process for establishing the sego lily as the Utah state flower?
- Who played a key role in establishing the sego lily as Utah's flower?
- Why was the sego chosen and not another flower?
- Why do you think women in Utah voted on a flower to represent themselves and not another item?
- Do the reasons for choosing the sego lily as Utah's flower still hold value for Utahns today?
Tell us your experience
We’d love to hear about your experience in using this lesson to engage with your students so that we can better serve those who choose to use this lesson in the future.Share Your Experience